Another psalm from the fifth book of psalms, this is a psalm of public praise and personal confidence in the LORD's salvation.
- When I felt shut in, I cried out to the LORD and he brought me to open spaces.
- The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid of mere mortals.
- The LORD is with me; he is my helper and grants me triumph over my enemies.
- It is better to look for safety with the LORD than to trust in people to save you.
- It is better to look for safety with the LORD than to trust in princes to save you.
- People from all nations approached me, but in the LORD's name I defeated them.
- They swarmed around me, but they were consumed in the name of the LORD.
- I was pushed back and nearly fell but the LORD helped me.
- The LORD is my strength, my defense, my salvation.
"The stone the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone."
"Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD."
"Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.' "
"Open for me the gates of the righteous;
I will enter and give thanks to the LORD.
This is the gate of the LORD
through which the righteous may enter."
- When I felt shut in in the city, I cried out to the LORD and he brought me to the open space of Cranbrook.
- The LORD is with Samuel and through prayer he is learning not to be afraid of the dark.
- The LORD is with us, helping us to triumph over the wiles of the devil who would rather stifle our ministry.
- The LORD has given me refuge; it is better to trust in Jesus than to trust in gurus or life coaches.
- The LORD has given me safety; it is better to trust in Jesus than to trust in celebrities or politicians.
- People from all directions pester and provoke me, but in the LORD's name I contend with their false accusations.
- They ridiculed and mocked me, but they will face God's judgement, not mine.
- I felt overcome like I had no strength left to stand against their persecution, but the LORD helped me stand firm in my faith.
- The LORD gives me strength, he defends me, he saves me.
> Which of the verses of Psalm 118 illuminate how God is working in your life?
Tomorrow's reading: Genesis 12:1-9.