Friday, January 11, 2013

EJ100 #16 Psalm 2:1-12

Today's Essential Jesus reading: Psalm 2:1-12.


Context
This is a "royal psalm", a psalm which relates to God's promises regarding the kings and the One True King of his chosen people
(B.C.: Israel / Last Days A.D.: the Church).

Content
Each verse considers God's king from a different perspective:
  1. 2:1-3 The nations and people, kings and rulers, rebel against the LORD's anointed.
  2. 2:4-6 The LORD scoffs at their rebellion because he has installed his chosen king.
  3. 2:7-9 The LORD is father to his chosen king and he will give him power over the nations.
  4. 2:10-12 Kings and rulers are warned to serve the LORD by obeisance to his son who rules.

God describes his king thus:
  • God's Anointed;
  • the Lord's king;
  • Installed on Zion, God's holy mountain;
  • Claimed by God as his son;
  • God became his father;
  • God is willing to give the nations to him as an inheritance;
  • God is willing to give the ends of the earth to him to possess;
  • He will break the nations and dash them to pieces; and
  • The LORD rules through him.
This anointed of the LORD is Jesus Christ. That's what "Christ" means, by the way. It's an anglicisation of the Greek word "Christos" used to translate the Hebrew word "Messiah".
Christ = Christos = Messiah = "the LORD's anointed" = KING
When the disciples and other early Christians began referring to Jesus and writing about him as "Jesus Christ" and "Christ Jesus" and "Jesus Christ our Lord", they were consciously identifying Jesus with the anointed king, the son of God, whom this psalm describes.

Connect
The response recommended by this psalm is,
"Therefore ... be wise;
be warned ...
serve the LORD with fear
and celebrate his rule with trembling.
Kiss his son...
Blessed are all who take refuge in him." [Psalm 2:10-12]
I want to be wise. I want to heed God's warnings. I desire to serve the LORD. So: I "kiss the son." I do that by celebrating his rule over me with trembling/awestruck obedience.

But that's all hoity-toity churchified language. In practice, this works out when

I choose to respect and not complain about my husband, even when he has yet another meeting that makes him several hours late home.
"The wife must respect her husband" [Ephesians 5:33].

I choose to be patient and kind with my kids, even when I'd rather they go away and bug someone else.
"The fruit of the Spirit is ... patience, kindness" [Galatians 5:22-23].
Being patient to show my 6yo how to use the juicer.

I take time to spend joyful moments with my kids, moments that show them I love them and want to be in their presence, showing interest in whatever interests them.
"This is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another" [1 John 3:11].
Sharing the joy of a good book that's fun to read.
Sharing the joy of my 9yo's fascination with chickens.

I choose to use calm words and count my children's bad behaviour choices, giving them an opportunity to calm down, listen to the Holy Spirit's voice, and choose well; and I suppress my first fleshly response, even when I want to shout at them.
"Do not exasperate your children" [Ephesians 6:4].
"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts" [Colossians 3:15].
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs" [Ephesians 4:29].
Calm words lead to calmed down kids.

I choose to complete several tasks I have committed myself to previously, even when I'd rather do something new.
"Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No' be 'No'" [Matthew 5:37].

I work hard, without grumbling, when I'm completing these tasks.
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men" [Colossians 3:23].

I choose to exercise daily, even when I have visitors or I am tired or I am in a rush or ... any other possible excuse.
"Honour God with your body" [1 Corinthians 6:20].

I choose to eat healthily, even when I have visitors or I am hungry or I am not at home or I just really want chocolate or ... in any other circumstance.
"'Everything is permissible for me' - but not everything is beneficial. 'Everything is permissible for me' - but I will not be mastered by anything" [1 Corinthians 6:12].
Choosing beneficial over permissible.

I choose to read and study and meditate upon the Bible.
"Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God" [Matthew 4:4].

I am able to do these things because I take refuge in the LORD [Psalm 2:12]: I admit my failings to God. I ask for God's help. I trust him to provide me with the strength and diligence and consistency I lack. I thank him for getting me through.
"He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'" [2 Corinthians 12:9].
These are just a few examples.

> How do you "kiss the son"?

Why do I love and worship Jesus?
It is wise to love Jesus, because Jesus is God's anointed Christ-king.

Christ Jesus,
I want to be wise.
Please use my weaknesses as an opportunity
to show your power and glory in my life
by enabling my obedience
to your commands.
Amen.

Tomorrow's reading: Psalm 22:1-31.

No comments: