Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Titus 1

What's this passage all about?
Paul gives Titus advice on choosing servant leaders for his church in Crete.

What can I learn from this?
In verses 10ff Paul warns Titus that many people are rebellious, just talking about doctrine but not actually living lives of faith. These people must not be able to teach in the church, because they will shipwreck the faith of many who listen to them. Paul advises Titus to point out their error: "This testimony is true. Therefore, rebuke them sharply, so that they will be sound in the faith and will pay no attention to Jewish myths or to the commands of those who reject the truth." [Titus 1:13-14]

How can I apply this to my own life?
I need to be on guard against doctrinal error and confusion in my own life. In order to avoid this error, I need to be diligent in my reading of the Bible and discerning in my reading of other books, blogs and websites. I am starting this blog as a record of my Bible reading and reflections upon it. I also need to pray that God will protect my mind and keep my heart pure.

No comments: