Monday, January 14, 2008

2 Timothy 3

What is this passage all about?

Paul again warns Timothy of the dangers of men who oppose the truth, particularly that they may lead weak-willed women astray, and contrasts this with the reliability of the Scriptures.


What can I learn from it?

People who oppose the truth will try to convince others that their way is correct, and many will fall for it. Paul's comments in vv6-7 indicate that women will be particularly susceptible to any such false teaching. Going back as far as Eve this has been the case, and as I consider the messages portrayed in many women's magazines (for example) today, I know this is still the case.

One of my favourite passages in included in this chapter. I guess for a lot of people this is also a familiar and favourite verse. Actually, I have used this verse as the basis for the name of our homeschool, Equip Academy, because I have wanted to keep God's purposes at the heart of our teaching. 2 Timothy 3:14-17 says, "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."


How can I apply this to my own life?

I read through Paul's list at the beginning of chapter 3 and all I can think of is to ask God to keep me from being like that - and to open my eyes if I am that way right now.

Am I weak-willed? Am I easily swayed? Am I always seeking a new path rather than acknowledging the true path? I know this last one would have described me a few years back, before I met Jeff and began a deep relationship with God through Jesus' blood. I don't thinkg any of them apply to me now, but this is by God's grace, as He has given me the opportunity to learn more from His word. I need to remember what Paul has said of the Scriptures in vv 15-17, and continue to seek to be thoroughly equipped by Him, rather than thoroughly deceived by the world's false teachers.

No comments: